explain s,p,d,f block elements
Asked by pa1980144 | 14th Oct, 2018, 03:27: PM
s-Block Elements -
- Elements in which the last electron enters the s-orbital of the outermost energy level are called s-block elements.
- The s-block consists of two groups—Group 1 and Group 2, which are alkali metals and alkaline earth metals.
p-Block Elements -
- Elements in which the last electron enters the p-orbital of their outermost energy level are called p-block elements.
- The p-block elements comprise elements belonging to Groups 13−18.
- It consists of all types of elements—metals, non-metals and metalloids.
d-Block Elements (Transition Elements)
- Elements in which the last electron enters any one of the five d-orbitals of penultimate shells are called d-block elements.
- Elements of Groups 3−12 in the center of the periodic table constitute the d-block elements.
- The general outer electronic configuration of d-block elements is (n − 1)d1−10 ns1−2.
f-Block Elements (Inner Transition Elements)
- Elements in which the last electron enters any one of the seven f-orbitals of their respective ante-penultimate shells are called f-block elements.
- There are 28 f-block elements in the periodic table which are placed at the bottom of the periodic table.
- The lanthanides or lanthanoids, i.e. cerium to lutetium (58Ce – 71Lu) and actinides or actinoids, i.e. thorium to lawrencium (90Th – 103Lr) are characterised by the outer electronic configuration (n – 2) f0−14 (n – 1)d0-2ns2.
- All the f-block elements, i.e. lanthanides and actinides, are also called inner transition elements.
Answered by Varsha | 15th Oct, 2018, 11:59: AM
- GIVE THE GENERAL ELECTRONIC CONFIGURATION OF s, p, d AND f ORBITALS.
- What is responsible for the conductivity of metal ? A) Delocalized electrons B) number of atoms C) atomic kernel d) ions
- How can we find the electronic configuration of gadolinium ?
- What are aerogens?
- Name two metals which have very low melting points?
- What are metalloids?
- What is the relation between the number of elements present in each period and the number of atomic orbitals?
- Differentiate between s and p block elements.
- Why do we call the d block elements as transition metals?
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number