Elemental phosphorus is often stored under water because it doesn't dissolve in water. Elemental phosphorus is very soluble in carbon disulfide, however. Explain why P4 is soluble in CS2 but not in water.
Asked by Topperlearning User | 4th Jun, 2014, 01:23: PM
If we look at the structure of the P4 molecule,
This molecule is a perfect example of a non polar solute. It is therefore more likely to be soluble in non polar solvents than in polar solvents such as water.
The Lewis structure of CS2 suggests that this molecule is linear.
Thus, even it there is some separation of charge in the C=S double bond, the molecule would have no net dipole moment, because of its symmetry. The electro negativities of carbon (EN = 2.55) and sulfur (EN = 2.58), however, suggest that the C=S double bonds are almost perfectly covalent. CS2 is therefore a nonpolar solvent, which should readily dissolve P4.
Answered by | 4th Jun, 2014, 03:23: PM
- relative lower vapour pressure
- pentane and heptene have a vapour pressure of 55pa and 4.8 respectively at 20oc. A mixture is known to contahoeptin 2.52g of pentane and 1400g of heptene.calculate a.the mole fraction of each components in the liquid b.the total vapour pressure of the mixture. c.the mole fraction of each component of the vapour phase
- What type of sol is formed on mix equal volume of n hexane or n heptane or bromoethane and chloroethane or benvjene or toulen
- In Pradeep publication the definition of solution is " it is a homogenous mixture of two or more chemically non reactive substances" IS THIS DEFINITION CORRECT?
- Ans with explanation please
- What is negative deviation from ideal solution .Give an example?
- Why Carbon tetrachloride and water are immiscible?
- A saturated solution of hydrogen sulfide in water can be prepared by bubbling H2S gas into water until no more dissolves. Calculate the molality of this solution if 0.385 grams of H2S gas dissolve in 100 grams of water at 20oC and 1 atm.
- The vapor pressure of benzene at certain temperature is 640mm Hg. To 39.08 of benzene, non-volatile and non-electrolyte solid-weighing 2.175g was added. The vapor pressure of solution was 600mm of Hg. Find the mass of the solute?
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number