Earth has a strong force of gravitation.Though we also exert a force of gravity towards earth,earth does not move towards us due to its hug mass.But in the case of evaporation water wapour which have a negligible mass is overcoming earth's attraction and moving upwards.What is the reason for this?
Asked by mythili Suresh | 29th Jul, 2014, 07:58: PM
Earth's gravity attracts all objects in it. All objects are pulled towards the Earth by the same amount of force.
However, gravity is a very weak force. Objects can overcome gravity with the help of various external factors.
Example: 1) A feather falls slowly as air resists its fall.
2) A book held in hand cannot fall down as the hand helps in overcoming gravity.
When water evaporates, the water molecules gains kinetic energy and the temperature rises.
This causes the air containing vapour to become lighter than the colder air above.
Hence, the cold air from above falls down and the air containing vapour rises up. Also, the negligible mass of vapour
makes it easier for air to rise up and overcome gravity.
Answered by Romal Bhansali | 30th Jul, 2014, 12:09: PM
- What is the effect of force on a) Rigid Body b) Non - Rigid body
- Why does one experience weightlessness when moving in an elevator?
- What is Force?
- ICSEX | PHYSICSMOST IMPORTANT QUESTIONSwww.topperlearning.com43.A coolie is pushing a box weighing 1500 N up an inclined plane 7.5 m long on to a platform 2.5 m above the ground.[3 M](i)Calculate the mechanical advantage of the inclined plane.(ii)Calculate the effort applied by the coolie.(iii)In actual practice, the coolie needs to apply more effort than what is calculated. Give one reason why you think the coolie needs to apply more effort
- Please explain how velocity ratio is calculated in the given problems. Thank you
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number