Does the speed of light and its velocity depend on the frame of reference?
Asked by abhishek_nayak98 | 20th May, 2014, 11:06: PM
Speed of light is a universal constant. It does not change from one frame to another.
However, when one measures the speed of light from another reference frame it might appear different depending on the speed of the frame itself.
This does not mean that the speed of light has decreased or increased, it only means that the speed of light is measured differently in that frame of reference.
This seems like a paradoxial statement, however the fact is that speed of light does not change.
When an observer approaches the speed of light and if it observes a spacecraft (travelling at the speed of light), then what he will see is that the spacecraft moves slowly and its lenght has been contracted. These are the consequences when he does not measure the speed of light as it is in vacuum or free space.
Also speed of light changes only when there is a change in the medium like water, glass, etc. However in a particular medium in any frame of reference, the speed remains the same.
Answered by Romal Bhansali | 27th May, 2014, 10:57: AM
- A jet airplane traveling at the speed of 500 km/hr ejects its products of combustion at the speed of 1500 km/hr relative to the jet plane. What is the speed of the later with respect to an obserever on the ground?
- Two ships A and B strat together from the same point. A sails 16 km/h towards east and B sails 20 km/h towards north. Find the relative velocity of B w.r.t A and distance between them after 5 hours.
- Two trains are moving in the opposite directions on parallel tracks, one with a velocity twice that of other. If the total length of the two trains is 480 ft and they take 3 seconds to cross each other, find their individual velocities.
- In a harbour, wind is blowing at the speed of 72 km/h and a flag on the mast of the boat anchored in the harbour along the N-E direction. If the boat starts moving at a speed of 51 km/h to the north, what is the direction of the flag on the mast of the boat.
- Two trains A and B of length 400 m each are moving on two parallel tracks with a uniform speed of 72 km/hr in the same direction, with A ahead of B.The driver of B decides to overtake A and accelerates by 1 m/s2 . If after 50s, the guard of B just brushes past the driver of A, what was the original distance between them?
- Two cars A and B are moving with same speed 30 km/hr in same direction with car B 5 km behind the car A. Another car C moving in opposite direction crosses the two cars at an interval of 4 minutes. Find the speed of car C.
- Two cars A and B are travelling in same direction with speed v1 and v2 respectively (v1 > v2 ). When car A is d distance behind the car B, the brakes on A are applied, causing retardation . Show that to prevent a collision between A and B it is necessary that (v1 > v2 )2 < (2d)
- A ship moves along equator to the east with velocity 30 km/hr. The southeastern wind blows at an angle of 60o to equator with velocity 15 km/hr. Find the wind velocity relative to ship and angle between the equator and the wind direction in reference frame fixed to the ship.
- A particle A moving along a straight line with velocity 5 m/s and another particle B has a velocity 8 m/s at angle 37o to the path of A. Find the relative velocity of B w.r.t A.
- Rain is falling vertically with speed of 30 m/s. A woman rides a bicycle with a speed of 10 m/s in N to S direction. In which direction she should hold the umbrella?
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number