Does the atomic number of an elment changes when its atoms form ions ? Give reason of your answer.
Asked by soumen_tiku | 27th Oct, 2015, 11:46: PM
- No, the atomic number of an element does not change when it forms ion.
- In an isolated neutral atom, total number of protons is equal to total number of electrons revolving around the nucleus.
- Atomic number = Total number of protons in the nucleus.
- When an atom forms an ion by loss or gain of electrons, the number of electrons revolving around the nucleus changes.
- But the total number of protons remains the same.
- Hence, the atomic number of the element does not changes when it forms ion.
Answered by Prachi Sawant | 28th Oct, 2015, 09:53: AM
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number