Describe the steps or procedure of mendels experiment with suitable example
Asked by Domnickdcosta96 | 3rd Mar, 2019, 12:15: PM
Mendel selected true breeding tall (TT) and dwarf (tt) pea plants.When a tall pea plant is crossed with a short (dwarf) pea plant, all the F1 hybrids are tall. (i.e., in this case, the gene causing tallness is dominant while the gene causing dwarfness is recessive.).The trait expressing itself in the hybrid is the dominant one.
(Mendel’s first law of inheritance states that when a pair of contrasting factors is brought in a hybrid, one factor inhibits the appearance of the other. The one which inhibits is the dominant one and which is inhibited is recessive.)
- In Mendel’s experiment of breeding tall (TT) and dwarf (tt) plants, Mendel found that all plants in the F1 generation were tall.
- The F1 generation had genetic constitution Tt. It is genotypically a hybrid and a heterozygous plant having two different alleles, T and t.
- Phenotypically, the plant is tall because the allele or the gene T for tallness masks the effect of its corresponding recessive gene t.
- So, dwarf plants with genotype (tt) were not obtained in the F1 generation. This implies that out of two, one of the contrasting characters for a particular trait is dominant which masks the expression of the other character which then becomes recessive.
- This experiment showed that traits may be dominant or recessive, depending on their expression in the F1 generation.
Answered by Sivanand Patnaik | 3rd Mar, 2019, 01:19: PM
- Please find the question in the picture.
- In a Maize plant, the height of plant with genotype AABB is 40cm & date of plant with genotype AaBb 30cm then the height of plant with genotype aabb will be
- Is there any limitations of dihybrid cross?
- Mention all the Gamate produced from AaBbCcDe?And Name them
- Mention the gamates produced from genotype AaBbCcDd?
- In an organism, pink spot is a sex-linked recessive trait and black hair heterozygous female is mated to a white male which is not spotted, the phenotypic ratio of the offspring would be (1) 1/4 spotted black; 1/4 pink spotted white; 1/4 unspotted black; 1/4 unspotted white (2) 1/2 pink spotted black; 1/2 pink spotted white (3) 3/4 pink spotted black; 1/4 pink spotted white (4) 3/4 unspotted black; 1/4 pink spotted white
- If in a test cross, equal number of round yellow seeded plants and wrinkled yellow seeded plants are obtained, what is the genotype of the plant ? (1) RRYY (2) RrYY (3) RrYy (4) RRYy
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number