In the exam decoded section of law of gravitation video, one of the questions and its answer is if the distance between the sun and the earth doubles, the gravitational force between them will be 1/4.
Later, a female exam expert says that the gravitational force obeys inverse square law and if the distance between two objects halved, the force becomes 1/4.
Dr. Chandralekha's exam decoded answer is opposite to this exam expert. Both differences in distances gave the same magnitude of force (as I typed in bold). Please re-check this video.
Asked by jag28bharat | 7th Oct, 2017, 08:02: PM
According to Universal Law of gravitation, the gravitational force of attraction between any two objects of mass M and m is proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of distance r between them.
So if the distance between two objects is reduced to half then the gravitational force becomes four times larger than its previous value. Also, since the force is inversely proportional to the distance between the objects. So if the distance between two objects is doubled then the gravitational force of attraction between them is reduced to one-fourth of its original value.
Answered by Yashvanti Jain | 8th Dec, 2017, 04:53: PM
- A woman of mass 50 kg is standing in an elevator. Suddenly the cable of the elevator break and the elevator begin to fall freely .the force exerted by the floor of the elevator on the woman is?
- Derive an expression for variation of g with depth
- State the Newton's Law of Gravitation. Also state its important properties.
- Which law explains the rotation of planets around the sun and the rotation of satellites around the planets?
- Define gravitational constant.
- Two bodies of mass 1kg and 2kg kept 4m apart exert a force of F Newton. A third body of mass 3kg is introduced in the set up and kept near 2kg mass. Calculate the total force on the 1kg body.
- On which two quantities does the gravitational force depend?
- Consider two bodies X and Y with mass m1 and m2 separated by distance ‘r’ meters. Suppose mass of X is doubled and mass of Y is tripled also the distance between them is doubled. Find the ratio of the gravitational force before and after changing the masses and distance.
- G is called Universal Gravitation Constant. Why?
- What will be the force of attraction between two bodies on 100 kg separated by 100 m?
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number