choose the correct option:
1. rolling friction is smaller than-
(a) sliding friction
(b) static friction
(c) fluid friction
(d) all of the above
please give an explanation to whatever answer...........
Asked by aarushisinghal | 11th Oct, 2014, 02:57: PM
(a) Sliding friction
Explanation: Friction is the force which resists the relative motion between two surfaces in contact.
Now, rolling friction comes into play between two surfaces, when one body rolls over the other and sliding friction comes into play when when one body slides or tends to slide over the surface of another body; it tends to reduce the relative velocity between the two surfaces during sliding. Now, if the area of contact between the two surfaces can somehow be reduced, then the effect of friction between the two surfaces will be drastically reduced.
When an object slides across the ground, it has much more surface area in direct contact with the ground, which means that the amount of friction is significantly higher. When an object rolls along the ground, only a minuscule point on the object contacts the ground at any point in time, making the stopping force much weaker.
Moreover, in sliding motion, the heights of cavities (irregularities) are to climb up which introduces the friction, while rolling friction, the heights of cavitites are to cross over which avoid the friction.
Answered by Sheetal Jalan | 12th Oct, 2014, 04:36: PM
- is fiction and kinetic friction
- what is kinetic friction
- What is friction?
- Friction chapter totally confused
- what is friction?
- A machine with moving from parts will become less hot while if it is well lubricated. True or false
- sliding friction is _________ than the static friction
- a child's father pushes the swing to increases the speed of the spring.why?
- Why does a plastic comb rubbed with dry air attract tiny piece of paper
- Explain why sliding friction is less than static friction.
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number