Central tapped transformer

Asked by  | 18th Feb, 2010, 10:00: PM

Expert Answer:

Dear student,

Dual-voltage power systems are generally referred to by a format such as 230/115 or 400/230. The number before the slash is the line-to-line (L-L) voltage and the number after the slash is the line-to-neutral (L-N) voltage. If the L-L voltage is twice the L-N voltage, then it is provided by a center tapped transformer. If it is slightly less, it is three-phase power.

Often the transformer is used with the center-tap connected to the "ground" or "common" or otherwise zero voltage  point in the circuit being 
powered. So, when listing the voltages on each of several taps on a long coil, one of the taps will be labeled "0",
and each other will be labeled with the AC voltage it has with respect to the "0" tap.
Hope this helps.

Answered by  | 19th Feb, 2010, 10:23: AM

Queries asked on Sunday & after 7pm from Monday to Saturday will be answered after 12pm the next working day.