Can you please explain , what do incentre , orthocentre and centroid mean?

Asked by SrijanSood | 9th Mar, 2011, 04:52: AM

Expert Answer:

Dear Student,
incentre-In geometry, the incircle or inscribed circle of a triangle is the largest circle contained in the triangle; it touches (is tangent to) the three sides. The center of the incircle is called the triangle's incenter.

orthocentre-The three altitudes intersect in a single point, called the orthocenter of the triangle. The orthocenter lies inside the triangle (and consequently the feet of the altitudes all fall on the triangle) if and only if the triangle is not obtuse (i.e. does not have an angle greater than a right angle).


centroid-a plane figure or two-dimensional shape X is the intersection of all straight lines that divide X into two parts of equal moment about the line. In physics, the word centroid may mean the geometric center of the object's shape, as above; or its physical center of mass or the center of gravity, depending on the context.

Hope it is clear now.


Team Topperlearning

Answered by  | 9th Mar, 2011, 09:16: AM

Queries asked on Sunday & after 7pm from Monday to Saturday will be answered after 12pm the next working day.