A white powder is added while baking breads and cakes to make them soft and fluffy. What is the name of the powder? What are the main ingredients in it? What are the functions of each ingredient?
Asked by adalroshan2464 | 11th May, 2019, 10:47: AM
The name of the powder is baking powder.
Its main ingredients are baking soda and tartaric acid.
Baking soda is also called sodium carbonate. Sodium bicarbonate reacts with hydrogen ion from acid and releases CO2 that makes the cake soft and fluffy.
Tartaric add is used to avoid the bitter taste
NaHCO3 + H+ → Na+ + CO2 + H2O .
Answered by Sivanand Patnaik | 11th May, 2019, 08:17: PM
- What is the colour of ferrous sulphate
- A solution of substance 'x' is used for white washing. Name the substance 'x' and write it's formula? Write the equation of substance 'x' named in above with water?
- In early times, quick lime was used for white-wash. Nowadays, use of paint has become very common. Do you think it is better in all respects or you think it is not?
- The crystals of compound A on keeping in air get converted into a white powder, it's solution in water turns red litmus to blue. It is used to remove permanent hardness of water. a) Identify the substance. Write chemical formula for its oxynalline form. b) Identify the Nature of the substance. c) Write its uses.
- How is plaster of paris prepared? Give the chemical equation.
- Full form of YAS in inorganic chemistry
- Explain how antacid works.
- A metal carbonate X on treatment with a mineral acid liberates a gas which when passed through aqueous solution of a substance Y gives back X. The substance Y on reaction with the gas obtained at anode during electrolysis of brine gives a compound Z which can decolorise coloured fabrics. Name the compounds X,Y and Z ?
- (i) A student takes 2 ml of distilled water in four test tubes marked I, II, III and IV, and then adds sodium chloride solution to test tube I, calcium chloride solution to test tube II, hydrochloric acid to test tube III and magnesium chloride solution to test tube IV.  In which test tube/s will lather be formed with synthetic detergent? Justify.
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number