A takes 6 days less than B to finish a piece of work. If both A and B
together can finish the work in 4 days, find the time taken by B to
finish the work.
Asked by Topperlearning User | 7th Nov, 2013, 03:55: AM
Suppose B alone takes x days to finish the work. Then, A alone can finish it in (x - 6) days.
Now, (A's one day's work) + (B's one day's work) =
(A + B)'s one day's work =
8x - 24 = x2 - 6x
x2 - 14x + 24 = 0
x2 - 12x - 2x + 24 = 0
(x - 12) (x - 2) = 0
x = 12 or x = 2
But, x cannot be less than 6. So, x = 12.
Hence, B alone can finish the work in 12 days.
Answered by | 7th Nov, 2013, 05:55: AM
- 6. A train travels at a certain average speed for a distance of 54 km and then travels a distance of 63 km at an average speed of 6 km/h more than the first speed. If it takes 3 hours to complete the total journey, what is its first speed?
- A rectangular pool 20 meter wide and 60 meter long is surrounded by a walkway of uniform width. If the total area of the walkway is 516 square meter, how wide, in meter, is the walkway?
- A piece of cloth costs Rs 200.If the piece was 5m longer and each metre of cloth costs Rs 2 less the cost of the piece would have remained unchanged . How long is the piece and what is the original rate per metre.
- Question 68 If the difference of the roots of the quadratic equation x2 – ax + b is 1, then a2 – 4b = 0 a2 – 4b = -1 a2 – 4b = 1 a2 – 4b = 4
- Let X and Y be the roots of the equation x^2 - ax + b = 0 and An= X^n + Y^n. What is A(n+1) - a*An + b* A(n-1)?
- The difference of two natural numbers is 3 & the difference of their reciprocals is 3/28.Find the numbers.
- In a flight of 6000km,an aircraft was slowed down due to bad weather. The average speed for the trip was reduced by 400 km/hr and the time of flight increased by 30 min. Find the original duration of the flight.
- Solve: 1/(x-1)(x-2) + 1/(x-2)(x-3)=2/3
- A trader bought a number of article for rupees 900 ,five articles were found damage. He sold each of the remaining articles at rupees 2 more than the what is paid for it. he got a profit for ₹80 on the whole transaction. find the number of article he brought.what values reflected by the trader by selling an article at rupee 2 to more than actual price?
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number