A Staircase contains three steps each 10cm high and 20cm wide.What should be the minimum horizontal velocity of a ball rolling off the uppermost plane so as to hit directly the lowest plane.
Asked by JAIBHARGAVA200 | 30th Oct, 2014, 07:56: PM
Let h be the height and w be the width of each step.
Let O be the uppermost plane and A be the lowermost plane.
Let the ball roll from the uppermost plane O with a horizontal velocity 'v' .Here the vertical velocity (velocity in the y direction will be 0)
If 't' is the time taken by the ball to reach the lowest plane A and 'x' the horizontal range, then we have:
x = v t
t = x /v ---------------------(1)
Here the horizontal range of the ball lies between 2w and 3 w, or we can say that the horizontal range (x) of the ball will be greater than 2w.
Given h = 10 cm =0.10 m,
w = 20 cm =0.20 m
i.e. x ≥ 2w
x ≥ 2×0.20m
x≥ 0.40 m
The vertical height, through which the ball travels from the plane O to plane A = 2h
From the equation of motion, s=ut+(1/2) gt2
Here u =o for vertical motion so:
2h = (1/2)gt2
From (1) and (2) we get that
So the minimum horizontal velocity of a ball rolling off from the uppermost plane(O) so as to hit directly the lowest plane(A) of the staircase = 2 m/s. Further for the ball to roll from the point O to reach the ground level the horizontal velocity should be greater than 2 m/s.
Answered by Jyothi Nair | 31st Oct, 2014, 12:54: PM
- A particle of mass m is given speed u at angle theta at topmost point It breaks into two equal parts one comes to rest find point of landing of second mass
- a projector is projected horizontal with velocity 10 ms making distance 45 degree .what is time of flig
- what is the meaning of projectile motion
- If a ball launched with initial velocity of 25 m/s at 45 degree. Find the maximum range covered by the ball?
- Pls solve
- what is lowest speed of an object in the projectile motion fired with an angle 30º and speed is 5m/s?
- curve of radius 120 m is banked at an angle of 18°. At what speed can it be negotiated under icy conditions where friction is negligible?
- Prove that the path of an oblique projectile is parabola
- Body is thrown which covers a maximum height of 50m and range 25m find angle of projection????
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number