A Staircase contains three steps each 10cm high and 20cm wide.What should be the minimum horizontal velocity of a ball rolling off the uppermost plane so as to hit directly the lowest plane.
Asked by JAIBHARGAVA200 | 30th Oct, 2014, 07:56: PM
Let h be the height and w be the width of each step.
Let O be the uppermost plane and A be the lowermost plane.
Let the ball roll from the uppermost plane O with a horizontal velocity 'v' .Here the vertical velocity (velocity in the y direction will be 0)
If 't' is the time taken by the ball to reach the lowest plane A and 'x' the horizontal range, then we have:
x = v t
t = x /v ---------------------(1)
Here the horizontal range of the ball lies between 2w and 3 w, or we can say that the horizontal range (x) of the ball will be greater than 2w.
Given h = 10 cm =0.10 m,
w = 20 cm =0.20 m
i.e. x ≥ 2w
x ≥ 2×0.20m
x≥ 0.40 m
The vertical height, through which the ball travels from the plane O to plane A = 2h
From the equation of motion, s=ut+(1/2) gt2
Here u =o for vertical motion so:
2h = (1/2)gt2
From (1) and (2) we get that
So the minimum horizontal velocity of a ball rolling off from the uppermost plane(O) so as to hit directly the lowest plane(A) of the staircase = 2 m/s. Further for the ball to roll from the point O to reach the ground level the horizontal velocity should be greater than 2 m/s.
Answered by Jyothi Nair | 31st Oct, 2014, 12:54: PM
- A baseball is hit by a bat and given a velocity of 40.0m/s at an angle of 30 degree above the horizontal. The height of the ball above the ground upon impact with the bat is 1.0 m a) what maximum height above the ground does the wall reached b) a feilder is 110.0 m from home plate with the ball is hit and the balls trajectory is directly at home if he begins running at the moment the ball is hit and catches the ball. when it is still 3.0 m above the ground. How long does he run before catching the ball. C) how fast does he have to run in order to catch the ball
- A particle of mass m is given speed u at angle theta at topmost point It breaks into two equal parts one comes to rest find point of landing of second mass
- a projector is projected horizontal with velocity 10 ms making distance 45 degree .what is time of flig
- what is the meaning of projectile motion
- If a ball launched with initial velocity of 25 m/s at 45 degree. Find the maximum range covered by the ball?
- Pls solve
- what is lowest speed of an object in the projectile motion fired with an angle 30º and speed is 5m/s?
- curve of radius 120 m is banked at an angle of 18°. At what speed can it be negotiated under icy conditions where friction is negligible?
- Prove that the path of an oblique projectile is parabola
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number