A parallel plate capacitor is charged by a dc source to potential V.Without disconnecting the capacitor form the source,air is replaced by another dielectric medium of dielectric constant 10.State with reasons how
1)electric field between the plates
2)energy stored in the cpacitor change
Asked by Malavika Umesh | 22nd May, 2014, 12:19: PM
1. In present case, the air is replaced by another dielectric medium of dielectric constant 10 without disconnecting the capacitor from the d.c source, hence potential difference between the plates of capacitor remains unchanged. Consequently, electric field between the plates remains unchanged.
2. Now capacitance of capacitor Cm = K C = 10 C
Thus, energy stored becomes 10 times the value with air as dielectric.
Answered by Faiza Lambe | 27th May, 2014, 12:06: PM
- WHAT IS DI- ELECTRIC CONSTANT?
- What is Ideal dipole?
- Hey what is a dielectric
- What is a dielectric?
- Give definition of polarization.
- Distinguish between polar and non-polar molecules. Give two examples of each.
- Why does the electric field inside a dielectric decrease, when it is placed in an external electric field?
- Explain how a dielectric reduces the electric field between two oppositely charged plates, if the space between them be filled with it?
- How does a non-polar dielectric develop a net dipole moment in an external field?
- How does a polar dielectric develop a net dipole moment in an external field?
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number