a) Identify the substance oxidised, substance reduced, oxidising agent and reducing agent in the following reaction:
b) In the reaction , what is oxidised and what is reduced?
Asked by adalroshan2464 | 12th May, 2019, 03:19: PM
(a) In this reaction, We need to find oxidation numbers in each compound
In MnO2,Oxidation number of Mn will be x-4=0
In MnCl2,Oxidation number of Mn will be x-2=0
So from conversion to MnO2 to MnCl2, Oxidation number is reduced which means MnO2 is reduced to MnCl2 and this process is reduction.
MnO2 is reduced so it will oxidise other compounds.
So MnO2 =Oxidising agent
When HCl is converted to Cl2, it looses hydrogen so when hydrogen is released it means this is Oxidation process and HCl is oxidised which means it will reduce other compounds
So HCl=Reducing agent
Zn is oxidised in ZnSO4 and CuSO4 is reduced in Cu.
Answered by Ravi | 14th May, 2019, 12:28: PM
- oxidation State of cr2o-²7
- (i) Balance the following equations by oxidation number method: (1) Cu + HNO3 → Cu (NO3)2 + NO2 + H2O) (2) K2Cr2O7 + HCl → KCl + CrCl3 + H2O + Cl2 (ii) Give reasons for the following: (1) HNO3 acts only as an oxidising agent while HNO2 can act both as a reducing agent and an oxidising agent. (2) Chlorine liberates iodine from KI solution. How will you convert the following? (Give balanced equation.) (1) Sodium acetate to methane Find the oxidation number of: (1) S in Na2S4 O6 2) S in
- Put the formula making me understanding all that
- Give the oxidation number of all elements in CH3COOH? In my book the oxidation number of oxygen in this compound is -1? How
- The oxidation number of Fe in Fe3O4 is fractional. Why?
- Calculate the Oxidation number of Sulphur in S2O82- ion.
- Calculate the oxidation number of S in Na2S4O6.
- Can the oxidation number of an element be zero?
- Find the oxidation number of Boron in BH3 andBF3.
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number