1.What is the quasi-fluid nature of lipids in the plasma membrane?
2.Explain glycosylation of protein and glycosidation of lipids.
Asked by pb_ckt | 18th Apr, 2019, 11:27: PM
1. Quasi fluid nature of lipid: It enables the lateral movement of proteins within the lipid bilayer.
2. Glycosylation is a critical function of the biosynthetic-secretory pathway in the endoplasmic reticulum (ER) and Golgi apparatus. Glycosylation is a commonly conserved process in the post translational protein modifications of eukaryotes and bacteria. However, glycosylation can be introduced by chemical modification in which carbohydrate molecule is conjugated to a protein, peptide, lipids etc.
(i) Glycosylation of proteins: addition of carbohydrate to produce glycoproteins. The attachment of sugar moieties to proteins which is a post-translational modification.Sugar moieties on soluble proteins can be bound by specific receptors in the trans Golgi network to facilitate their delivery to the correct destination. These sugars can also act as ligands for receptors on the cell surface to mediate cell attachment or stimulate signal transduction pathways.
(ii)Glycosidation of lipids: addition of oligosaccharides to produce glycolipids.
Answered by Sivanand Patnaik | 19th Apr, 2019, 09:03: AM
- Why are genes for cytoplasmic male sterility in plants generally located in mitochondrial genome?
- Why is mitochondria responsible for maternal inheritance?
- Why do the inner membrane of mitochondria have more carrier proteins than outer membrane?
- What is the aqueous fluid present in between the 2 membranes of mitochondria?
- 1.Name he different types of chloroplast. 2.Why is nucleolus not bound by any membrane?
- State the differences between smooth and rough endoplasmic reticulum,besides presence of ribosomes.
- Cell within cell meaning in mitochondria
- Why mitochondria are called semiautonomous cell organelle
- In the given image after the formation of primary lysosome and secondary lysosome formation of which lysosome take place that is undigested food vacuole lysosome or digested food vacuole is awesome At last kindly arrange them in the correct order
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number