Olympic Torch which is also known as the Olympic Flame is a light that is carried to mark the beginning of the worldwide athletic competition known as the Olympic Games. Narrow at the bottom and broad at the top, Olympic torch is easy to hold with the hands. Flame burns at its top, which gets lit in Greece, the site of the first Olympic Games and carried away to the host country where Olympics is supposed to be held.
What is the History behind it?
Every host country follows this ritual for lighting the Flame at Olympic Games. The Olympic torch is lit from sun's rays at the Temple of Hera in Olympia, in a traditional ceremony among the ruins of the home of the ancient Games.
This gesture connects the ancient Olympic Games with the modern Olympic Games and brings back the memories of the special history of the Olympics!
What does Olympic Torch Symbolize?
The Olympic Torch symbolizes peace, unity and friendship of the Olympic Games.
How far it is carried by Torchbearers?
In Olympic Torch Relay thousands of participants (called Torchbearers) carry it through more than 1,000 cities worldwide. Each torchbearer passes the torch to the next bearer once his or her path is complete. The final torchbearer brings the Olympic Flame to the stadium site of the Opening Ceremony, where it is used to light a large cauldron.
Who designed Olympic Torch?
The Torch was designed by East Londoners Edward Barber and Jay Osgerby, who won the opportunity through a competitive tender run by the London 2012 Organizing Committee and the Design Council.
Amazing facts about Olympics!
* The three words that make the Olympic motto are: Faster, Higher, Stronger
* UK will be hosting the Olympic Games for the third time in 2012. Earlier it hosted Olympics games in 1908 and 1948
* The vision for the London 2012 Olympic Games is to combine three bodies of work – Sports, Education and Culture
* More than half of the London 2012 Torchbearers are expected to be young people aged as young as 12 years, therefore designers aimed to make the Torch as light as possible for them to carry.
* It is made from a special aluminum alloy which is used in aerospace and automotive industry. This lightweight alloy is very strong, with excellent heat resistance.