A doctor taking off protective gears after surgery
With the single entrance system for medical education coming to stay across India, the Orissa Government has proposed that all students coming from outside must submit the two-year service bond.
At the last meeting in New Delhi with CBSE, Medical Council of India (MCI), where all states were represented, Orissa has sought a few changes in its favour, including a condition that all students taking admission in government colleges will have to serve two years in rural areas. This will mean the 15 percent students who come from the central list will also have to submit the bond, once the matter is ratified.
In the past, the 15 percent of the students who took admission through the All India Pre-Medical Test (AIPMT) route were exempted from the service bond clause. With the State facing shortage of doctors in rural pockets, the Orissa Government wants more doctors in the rural areas through its proposal.
“Earlier, the entrance tests (AIPMT and JEE) were different and hence the norms guiding them. Now that all the states will have to come through by the National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test (NEET), the conditions governing them should also be the same,” Joint Director, Medical Education and Training, Orissa Sitaram Mohapatra said. Mohapatra represented the State.
As per the NEET guidelines, two merit lists will be drawn up - a central list and a state list. For 15 percent seats in all institutions, Director General of Health Service will conduct the counselling while the rest 85 percent will be handed over to the State Government.
Mohapatra said, the State Government has also proposed that all the? students for the 85 percent seats will have to be domicile of the State. In view of the eligibility norms, a percentile system must be put in place.
The NEET will come into force from 2012 academic session which means the calendar will start from December 12 when application for the test will go online. Candidates can submit their applications till January 16 while admit cards will be dispatched on April 14 onwards. The NEET will be held on May 13.
Meanwhile, third round counseling for MBBS and BDS seats concluded on Tuesday. All the 15 NRI seats of Hi-Tech Medical College and Hospital were filled up though 84 BDS seats remained vacant. All 450 MBBS and 50 BDS seats in the three government medical colleges have already been taken.