Question
Sat October 29, 2011 By: Priyanshi Tyagi

Q)Explain cell cycle step by step.Make a diagram also.

Expert Reply
Tue November 01, 2011

The cell cycle, or cell-division cycle, is the series of events that takes place in a cell leading to its division and duplication. The cells in the body alternately divide (mitosis) and "appear" to be resting (interphase).

During interphase (lasting between 12-24 hours) , the cell appears to ?b?e? ?a?t? ?r?e?s?t?,? ?b?u?t? ?i?t? ?i?s? ????????????????????????????????????actually a period of diverse activities?,? ?w?h?i?c?h? ??????????????????????????????ar??e? i?n?d?i?s?p?e??n?s?i?bl?e? i??n making the next mitosis possible.? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????During this period, the cell is con?stantly synth?esizing RNA, producing protein and growing in size. ??????Interphase can be divided into 4 steps: Gap 0 (G0), Gap 1 (G1), S (synthesis) phase, Gap 2 (G2).

Gap 0 (G0): There are times when a cell will leave the cycle and quit div?iding. This may be a temporary resting period or more permanent. An example of the latter is a cell that has reached an end stage of development and will no longer divide (e.g. neuron).

Gap 1 (G1): ???H?e?r?e?,? ?c?ells increase in size ????????????,? ?produce RNA ?and ?synthesize ? ?????p?r?o?t?e?i?n?.? ????????? ??T?h?i?s? ?p?h?a?s?e? ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????e?nsures that everything is ready for DNA synthesis. ?

S Phase: ?DNA replication occurs during this S (synthesis) phase.

Gap 2 (G2): During the gap between DNA synthesis and mitosis, the cell will continue to grow and produce new proteins.

Mitosis or M Phase: ?Cell growth and protein production stop at this stage and all of the cell's energy is focused on the complex and orderly division into two similar daughter cells. Mitosis is much shorter than interphase, lasting perhaps only one to two hours.

A simple animation of cell cycle is given in the below site

http://www.cellsalive.com/cell_cycle.htm??

Ask the Expert