1. Covalent compound exists as a separate molecules because they are formed by neutral atoms (they are electrically neutral) and the forces of attraction between these molecules is small.
2. Due to weak intermolecular forces, generally covalent molecules or covalent compounds are liquids and gases. However, some covalent substances are solids like iodine.Liquid (H2O, HCl, Br2)
Gas (CO2, H2, Cl2,NH3)
3. Covalent compounds are generally insoluble in water.
4. Polar covalent compounds conduct electricity. Non-polar covalent compounds do not conduct electricity.
5. Covalent compounds generally have much lower melting and boiling points than ionic compounds.